Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been digging into info on ebikes while I wait for my speed to arrive.

It seems like Brose has built up a pretty bad rap for reliability and multiple engine replacements.

Does anyone have any info on this in relation to serial 1? Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Serial 1 Mosh/CTY
47 Posts

It seems like Brose has built up a pretty bad rap for reliability and multiple engine replacements.

My motor is being replaced sinsen it stopped working and I have been waiting two months to get it replaced.
They are know to be quite and 90nm but very few ebikes use Brose anymore for a reason.
The biggest problem is how Serial1 treat customers and their lack of knowledge about the bike and motor they don't even sell spare parts.
I don't recommend this ebike.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts

Hi,
I also checked reviewed studied all aspects of ebikes before diving in with a purchase. I haven’t had any real issues with mine although once the motor made a loud clunking noise and after stopping and taking a look at the bike and motor nothing appeared to be wrong. I continued on my way with no problem. Definitely made me wonder about the motor but haven’t had that happen since and I have over 1500 miles on the bike now with another 800 on my lady’s bike.
You no doubt have heard of Specialized bikes. Their electric bikes use the Brose motors. Two different variations the 90nm variety and a lighter less powerful 50nm allowing Specialized to create a new category of ebike. Brose products are open source so manufacturers can use there own variations of batteries and displays unlike Bosch and Shimano. Specialized also has a great app to operate them. I haven’t heard of them having any problems with them and I’m pretty sure they have sold 100’s of electric bikes by now. I don‘t follow any other forums even though I have mountain, cross, electric and fat bikes. There will always be problems with any manufactures products and hopefully they are far and few between them. If Serial 1 went with them for motors they must have tested them and have confidence in the motors. I’m confident in mine and hope over time that there won’t be any problems.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I also checked reviewed studied all aspects of ebikes before diving in with a purchase. I haven’t had any real issues with mine although once the motor made a loud clunking noise and after stopping and taking a look at the bike and motor nothing appeared to be wrong. I continued on my way with no problem. Definitely made me wonder about the motor but haven’t had that happen since and I have over 1500 miles on the bike now with another 800 on my lady’s bike.
You no doubt have heard of Specialized bikes. Their electric bikes use the Brose motors. Two different variations the 90nm variety and a lighter less powerful 50nm allowing Specialized to create a new category of ebike. Brose products are open source so manufacturers can use there own variations of batteries and displays unlike Bosch and Shimano. Specialized also has a great app to operate them. I haven’t heard of them having any problems with them and I’m pretty sure they have sold 100’s of electric bikes by now. I don‘t follow any other forums even though I have mountain, cross, electric and fat bikes. There will always be problems with any manufactures products and hopefully they are far and few between them. If Serial 1 went with them for motors they must have tested them and have confidence in the motors. I’m confident in mine and hope over time that there won’t be any problems.
Cheers
Thanks for the post, you are right I was reading the specialized horror stories.

·
Registered
2021 Serial 1 Mosh/CTY
47 Posts
I did find these guys that overhaul brose for better durability and water proofing. If you were interested. They also have parts. Where To Buy - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings)
I contacted EVO Elsykler AS in Norway long time ago after contacting Serial1 who told me the motor never needed service and they knew nothing about the Brose service tool I they contacted Brose Germany which told me EVO where their partners in norway and asked if they did service Brose motors but no EVO told me they do not and do not want to.
I also contacted a company called Elife in norway which make custom ebikes with Brose engines but they told me they no longer used Brose but have changed to Bafang since Brose didn't work as expected.

Another thing is why should I pay extra to make a motor work as expected and what about warranty when original parts have been changed to unoriginal?
I did trust H-D as a reliable company so I didn't check if they had a spareparts list and also sold spareparts and that they could service the whole ebike including the motor.
I am still waiting for my bike to be finished since the shop I bought it at have to order a new motor from Brose but strip down another new bike to get spare parts like new battery, new brakes and new rear axle since Serial1 don't sell or have the parts.
You can do a test yourself and send Serial1 a mail and ask for spareparts numbers and wait for a answer if you you don't believe me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts