Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather begins to fall and snow falls, it becomes increasingly important to know how to properly maintain an electric bike and its lithium-ion battery. Lithium-ion batteries discharge faster when it's cold, and if you're riding an e-bike in winter, you'll need to recharge the battery more often than in summer or warmer weather.

In this blog, we'll give you some tips on how to handle the cold weather on your electric bikes.
1. Warm battery
Temperatures below 30F can significantly impact charge cycles and battery durability during cold winter months. Electric bike batteries take longer to charge, and bike power isn’t as powerful as it is in summer. If possible, keep your batteries in a warm part of the house during the winter.
It would be great if your battery could be removed, store the bike outside, keep the battery indoors in a warm place, charge it inside, and then reattach it to the electric bike 48v 1000w when you're ready to ride it in place.

2. Prepare for shorter trips and more charging
Since we all know that fat tire electric bike 1000w batteries don't work well in cold weather, remember to check the remaining charge before riding your bike. Your battery won't last as long as you're used to during the winter, and you may need to charge it more often than before.
If you have an extra replaceable battery, charge it up and take it with you if you're going on a long ride, replace it when it runs low, and keep your form safe.
Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

3. Watch out for snow
The most important thing about riding in winter is to pay attention to the snow on the road. Snow can make roads slippery, and sometimes they can even freeze due to temperature changes. Slowing down can minimise the impact on your driving in rain and snow.

4. Protect the battery from rain
Wet weather is often encountered in winter, after riding an e-bike in wet conditions, check your bike to make sure all parts are free of dust, debris and moisture.

Be careful not to immerse the battery or bike in water or other liquids that could damage your electrical system or cause a dangerous situation. While the battery has a hard case and is waterproof, look for some clearance, especially where the battery attaches to the bike. The parts of the bike are all waterproof, but you should still avoid large puddles, streams or heavy rain.

In large gaps or any space, use a wax sealant or waterproof sealant, or even cover the area with a waterproof material. You can also purchase a waterproof pannier bag to avoid any water leaking into where the battery is attached to the bike.

5. Utilize fenders
If your e-bike has fenders, you don't have to worry too much. It prevents water from splashing on your battery, on you and on the cables. If you don't have a fender, it's definitely recommended to buy it and use it during the cold, rainy months.

Let us know if you have any other winter riding tips, or if you want to see any other how-tos, tutorials, tips, have any questions, let us know in the comments below.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I rode the other day @10 F I rode a little over 11 miles and my battery was at 41% remaining, not to bad considering the temp. It’s a definite reduction in range, at 70 F I’d probably have around 55% remaining.
The guy at the guy in the bike shop recommended NOT removing the battery to charge it. I forgot why.
I always remove my battery for charging. I do wait for it to warm back up to room temp before charging it during winter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts