Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

E-bikes and electric motorcycles could be getting a nice tax credit from The Build Back Better Act that's currently going through congress.

The version that passed the house of representatives includes a 30% tax credit for e-bikes and electric motorcycles!

The credit tops out at $1,500 for e-bikes, and $7,500 for electric motorcycles.

The credit tops out at $1,500 for e-bikes, and $7,500 for electric motorcycles. At that 30% rate, that means you’ll be spending $5,000 on an e-bike to see the full potential of the credit — though no more than $8,000, the value at which the credit disappears. For motorcycles, getting the full $7,500 back means spending $25,000 on your new ride.

The credits are fully refundable, meaning you don’t need to owe $7,500 in taxes to get $7,500 in returns, but they’re limited by income — the credit starts to phase out once you earn above $75,000 per year. Those two stipulations point to a credit specifically designed to make EVs accessible to lower-income people, an admirable endeavor for Congress to undertake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if you can get a tax credit for a bike already purchased?
I believe I saw a description of the bill which indicates something like “putting a bike into use” in the tax year is all that matters. Which makes me think that a bike put into use during the year bill takes affect might be covered retroactively to the beginning of the year. but just guessing there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I saw a description of the bill which indicates something like “putting a bike into use” in the tax year is all that matters. Which makes me think that a bike put into use during the year bill takes affect might be covered retroactively to the beginning of the year. but just guessing there.
You're right @victrolux. One e-bike per taxable year and two for joint filers.

The tax credit can be applied to the purchase of a new e-bike (the first $5,000) up to $750 benefit value. It allows taxpayers to claim credit for one e-bike per taxable year — two for joint filers — beginning in 2022.

·
Registered
7 Posts
… And don’t forget everybody there is an income level ceiling on this offer. I think individual income above 75,000 and family income above 150 or so begins to diminish the rebate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts