Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased the S1 RushSpeed in White, love the bike. I just shave off 40lbs off my DD1260, with that said I want to shave off at least 5 to 9 lbs. off the S1. Why... It's just something I enjoy doing, I'm hoping it would improve handling & mileage. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Be safe riding in the Bronx seems like I’m always reading about cyclists being hit their. I know you can save some weight by removing the inner tubes, they are extra extra thick for puncture protection.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... Not sure about the tube, today I removed the tires, I'll be replacing them with 2.8" tires and the inner tube are thin & light (Maxxis 27.5 X 1.75), not puncture resistance at all. The Bronx has a lot of crazy drivers, but Manhattan is the worst, making eye contact and stating your intention is key to a safe ride.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Thats interesting that the tubes are different from mine. Must be a supply chain issue and they are just going with what they could get. My tubes are definitely heavy duty Kenda 27.5 x 2.10/2.40. I’m going to a bigger tire after I get some wear and tear on the stock tires. What kind of tires are you looking at? I’m currently running Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros until the snow & ice goes away then back to the stock tires. I did put in conventional tubes which are way lighter.
Agreed eye contact a must on the streets.
stay safe.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that sucks... I'm not necessarily upset about how light the tubes are as much as I am with the sizes of the tube. My intention from the beginning was to upgrade these two items so I won't be making a big deal about it, but it's a bit disturbing that they would cut corners without notifying the consumer. I like the handling & looks of the Schwalbe, so I'll be upgrading to the "Schwalbe Super Moto-X, 27.5 X 2.8 & Teravail, 27.5 X 2.8 Innertube"

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Those tubes are good enough for a 2.4” tire. I run Schwalbe 26 x 3 tubes in my fat bike with 5” tires. Never had a problem but of course riding mostly on snow and low speeds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just purchased the S1 RushSpeed in White, love the bike. I just shave off 40lbs off my Ducati Diavel 1260, with that said I want to shave off at least 5 to 9 lbs. off the S1. Why... It's just something I enjoy doing, I'm hoping it would improve handling & mileage. I'll post pictures soon.
9 lbs is a lot on a bicycle, cant wait to see what you come up with to do that... (y)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
9 lbs is a lot on a bicycle, cant wait to see what you come up with to do that... (y)
So far, I eliminated 5lbs...
I removed the fenders, all reflectors, the kick stand and I installed lighter inner tubes.
I also Installed the Redshift Suspension Seatpost and the wider Schwalbe 2.8 tires, by not adding these items I would have probably saved 1lb more.
The way it stands, the bike wight's-in at 54lbs. Thats as far as I think it can go,

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Well the reflectors were the first thing I removed, but nothing else. I can’t imagine what more could be done to lose weight. Maybe a saddle with Titanium or Carbon rails?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So far, I eliminated 5lbs...
I removed the fenders, all reflectors, the kick stand and I installed lighter inner tubes.
I also Installed the Redshift Suspension Seatpost and the wider Schwalbe 2.8 tires, by not adding these items I would have probably saved 1lb more.
The way it stands, the bike wight's-in at 54lbs. Thats as far as I think it can go,
very impressive, other than going carbon fiber for handlebars and possible a lighter crank and pedals can't think of much more...

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm happy with the results, and as this has pedal assist, it's much easier to get around town so eliminating more weight is not that much of a big issue. I would be adding a better saddle (Selle Royal Corkgel Saddle with Aluminum Rail), Ergon GP3 BioKork Grips and the Crank Brothers Stamp11 Pedals, which are silghtly lighter from what's on there now.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Losing weight always makes you faster on bikes but since we’re on electric bikes weight not as important. I’m 65, 6’ and weigh 210 and I’m not going to lose any weight.
like the Serial 1 video says ENJOY THE RIDE.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Yes we are all enjoying the ride. My suggestion was in jest.
I knew you were kidding but it’s the truth losing weight always makes you faster on a conventionalbike but on an electric you get more range who doesn’t want more range. I have quit trying to lose weight as I can’t seem to lose any no matter what I try or do.
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts