Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the manual mode in the enviolo app for shifting? I have some pretty steep hills to negotiate that I think could be better handled if I dowshifted manually. Even using boost mode I have difficulty rotating the pedals on a long 12 degree climb. It seems like the hub is not downshifting to make the pedaling easier like I could do with my road bike. My cadence is set to around 60. On a second topic when I first got my bike the enviolo app on my iPhone showed me the cadence with a real number. Apparently enviolo "updated" the app interface about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The look is entirely different and in order to figure out the actual cadence number I have to count the number of pedal strokes the animated figure makes each time I experiment with adjusting the cadence.

Any help would appreciated. Bike is a Rush/City Speed.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
I don’ know how you would shift as there is no device for shifting the hub since its automatiq. The hub is going to always try to keep the cadence at what you set it at, it doesn’t matter if you’re riding up a hill or on level ground it’s going to maintain that 60 rpm. I can’t answer that 2nd question as I haven’t launched the Enviolo app in months. It sounds like they went backwards if you have to count an animation. Do you have the 2nd gen bike with the do it all Serial 1 app? Seems like that app would allow you to adjust the cadence but I don’t know as we have gen 1 bikes.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’ know how you would shift as there is no device for shifting the hub since its automatiq. The hub is going to always try to keep the cadence at what you set it at, it doesn’t matter if you’re riding up a hill or on level ground it’s going to maintain that 60 rpm. I can’t answer that 2nd question as I haven’t launched the Enviolo app in months. It sounds like they went backwards if you have to count an animation. Do you have the 2nd gen bike with the do it all Serial 1 app? Seems like that app would allow you to adjust the cadence but I don’t know as we have gen 1 bikes.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression that I could set the enviolo hub for “manual” and then also use the app to go up or down the gears - will have to experiment. I have the Gen 1 version as well.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
That an interesting take on using the app to shift. I suppose it might be possible. Shifting for me is changing the amount of assistance the motor provides by going to more and more help especially when going uphill. lets us know what you discover.
Cheers

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Continue to tinker with the settings. Upped the cadence from 60 to 72 and increased somewhat the starting gear ratio from a stop (increased about 20%). Increased cadence helps on hills in conjunction with going to sport mode which I changed from 50 to 60 on the Brose controller. Not sure if I’m going to mess with the “manual “ mode experiment if this is working well for me. Also haven’t tried the QR code thing either. Will have to read up on that.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's manual mode in the enviolo app (not the serial 1 app). If you put your phone in a holder put the enviolo in manual you can select the gear from the phone, hopefully, without crashing.
I was thinking that might be an option - have you ever tried it? And, yes, trying to fool with your phone while riding…..maybe not such a good idea.

· Registered
5 Posts
You can purchase a separate shifter or controller to manually shift gears or change cadence, which I have done, but the issue is that there is no indicator on the controller to show what gear or cadence you are in. In my testing the manual gears don't work that great. What I do is what you discovered. I shift to a higher cadence on hills and a lower cadence on straight aways or downhills. I think there is something not right with the tuning in terms of power delivery on hills. With the torque sensor it should be giving you more power, but on steep hills it just seems like there is very little power available.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can purchase a separate shifter or controller to manually shift gears or change cadence, which I have done, but the issue is that there is no indicator on the controller to show what gear or cadence you are in. In my testing the manual gears don't work that great. What I do is what you discovered. I shift to a higher cadence on hills and a lower cadence on straight aways or downhills. I think there is something not right with the tuning in terms of power delivery on hills. With the torque sensor it should be giving you more power, but on steep hills it just seems like there is very little power available.
Agreed!

· Registered
14 Posts
It seems like the “cadence” number is sort-of a “how hard do you want to pedal?” number. I use different numbers if I plan to ride at 19.5mph, vs 16mph; and use different numbers for my commute to work (more uphills) vs home from work (more downhills).

I agree that the enviolo does not seem to downshift enough on hills. My commute has a section on below-grade railroad, and the “exit ramps” are about 30 feet of climb in a short city block; it’s not possible for me to do them without about 50% boost, unless I stand up and grind away at the pedals. (This is especially a problem if I have run out of battery!). It would be nice to have an interface like a “graphic equalizer,” where I can tell it to downshift 10% more at the low-end.

I have also noticed that Enviolo seems to downshift based on cadence, but not torque: if I meet a hill, and just pedal harder, it doesn’t downshift at all. But if I stop pedaling for a half-second, then start pedaling again, that kicks the gear down. So I sometimes do that to “reset”, when it is making me work too hard.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to know it’s not just me! Interesting concept about the “reset” - will have to give that a try on my next ride. Despite the occasional shortcomings I still really enjoy riding the bike - no regrets. And for those of us that are riding the MY21’s, I was told by the Serial 1 support guys that there will be either a software or firmware upgrade in 2023 that will enable the MY 21’s to use the Serial 1 Android
/iphone software in it’s entirety.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts