Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I've put around 100 miles on the bike so far but yesterday I got a little scare. When attempting to cross 5 lanes of in-town Atlanta highway (Moreland Ave, IYKYK) I stepped on the "gas" from a near stop and heard a grinding sound from the rear hub. Felt it in the pedals, too. Then it was fine, but concerting nonetheless. I thought the Enviolo hub was supposed to be disappear in use but yesterday it reminded me of my analog bike days when you tried to switch gears under heavy load.

Anyone else notice anything like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, so I've put around 100 miles on the bike so far but yesterday I got a little scare. When attempting to cross 5 lanes of in-town Atlanta highway (Moreland Ave, IYKYK) I stepped on the "gas" from a near stop and heard a grinding sound from the rear hub. Felt it in the pedals, too. Then it was fine, but concerting nonetheless. I thought the Enviolo hub was supposed to be disappear in use but yesterday it reminded me of my analog bike days when you tried to switch gears under heavy load.

Anyone else notice anything like this? Thanks.
I’ve broken 1 in less than 10 miles, returned the bike, damaged the 2nd one at 100miles and a day after the return period. You will now notice your pedals will go “clunk” as you ride into the sunset and wonder why you didn’t buy a mosh. These enviolos cannot handle the torque of the Brose motors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve broken 1 in less than 10 miles, returned the bike, damaged the 2nd one at 100miles and a day after the return period. You will now notice your pedals will go “clunk” as you ride into the sunset and wonder why you didn’t buy a mosh. These enviolos cannot handle the torque of the Brose motors.
Thanks. It only happened when I stood for most thrust, and i replicated it on the Beltline yesterday. It has never happened when seated and I’m not sure standing makes a difference in initial thrust. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks. It only happened when I stood for most thrust, and i replicated it on the Beltline yesterday. It has never happened when seated and I’m not sure standing makes a difference in initial thrust. Thanks for your reply.
First one broke while standing boost assist while rolling at about 5mph to make a quick short steep climb.

Second one failed in a similar fashion but seated, boost assist starting from a dead stop while trying to haul butt away from a sketchy unlit bike lane that straddled traffic at night.

if you check the enviolo manual. These hubs are rated for a max of 100nm torque and 250w of power. Which on paper should be fine since these Brose motors are rated at 250w/90nm torque. But we know the motors are way underrated in the wattage as they peak 2-3x the 250w number. The 250w is just a sustained number under normal riding conditions.

Even at those numbers if we were to assume a cyclist is putting out 40-50nm of torque in addition to the 90nm the motor produces, we are way above the hubs rated capacity especially if we are in a situation where we are trying to jump the line and drag race off the start. Once you get into heavier riders putting their weight down or strong legged sprinters it’s really a concern of what these hubs can handle. dead stop mid hill climbs are also something that I’m not confident on anymore with these things.

it appears the 2nd gen models went away from the enviolo sportive to heavy duty hubs. But both are rated at the same 160kg/350lb load limit for 100nm motors. So it might just be the same internals rebranded.

enviolo did launch an extreme hub in 2022 which supports 250kg/550lbs for 100nm motors. It might be a future upgrade I go with if I don’t say hell with it and throw the enviolo hub on eBay and build a single speed hub or find a different IGH system all together.

enviolos are such a power drag anyways. I seen one chart where at peak efficiency, they only transfer 85% of output to the road, the rest is lost in friction. But usually are closer to 80% so that would explain why a mosh has a 40% smaller battery but gets identical range figures.

oh well. I shouldn’t rant too much. I got the bike at 60% off. If I actually paid full price I would have room to nit pick more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fantastic insight and thanks for sharing. Hopefully retailer will support me or refund me if turns into failure.
From what I’ve heard enviolo is stellar at getting these things replaced if it turns into a failure. Most definitely would take it easy on the launches. Standing or seated they just cannot hold up, once your rolling there shouldn’t be much issue as long as your not taking insanely steep hills or banks.

cheers and good luck! Last time I contacted their support I had a response in less than an hour.

also here’s some manuals. The first one is a little more detailed than the newer ones, it’s from 2018.

Here’s the 2020/2021 manual if you have a gen 1

And here’s the 2022 if you have the 2nd gen bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts