Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Saw this in the owners manual:
Handlebar Height
The eBicycle is equipped with a "threadless" stem, which clamps onto the outside of the steerer tube. A qualified service provider may be able to change handlebar height. Find qualified service providers at www.Serial1.com.

I don’t see them raising the bars very much as there is only so much steer tube above the head tube it’s further complicated by the electrical wiring and brake lines running through their as well.
I surprised they didn’t fit the bike with an adjustable handlebar stem to accommodate everyone’s preference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw this in the owners manual:
Handlebar Height
The eBicycle is equipped with a "threadless" stem, which clamps onto the outside of the steerer tube. A qualified service provider may be able to change handlebar height. Find qualified service providers at www.Serial1.com.

I don’t see them raising the bars very much as there is only so much steer tube above the head tube it’s further complicated by the electrical wiring and brake lines running through their as well.
I surprised they didn’t fit the bike with an adjustable handlebar stem to accommodate everyone’s preference.
Thanks for the info, I am in Spain now so I will have to take it one of the regular bike shops around here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
being able to ride more upright is helpful to some older riders or riders who fatigue neck muscles easily on longer rides. i think the Bar Yak is a pretty nifty solution.... not so much for in town traffic but for wide open road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Orbea orca bikes seem to have a very similar stem. I was wondering if the part in link below, would allow Serial 1 bike to use new stem while keeping cables internally routed

Orbea orca bikes seem to have a very similar stem. I was wondering if the part in link below, would allow Serial 1 bike to use new stem while keeping cables internally routed

Ordered it. It does NOT Fit

·
Registered
2 Posts
I exchanged some emails with Serial one on this very topic. They said we could not do it and suggested I look into handlebar extensions. I did and posted recently on the “solution”
https://www.reddit.com/r/serialone/comments/purca7
Funny, my email exchange says they CANNOT do it, despite my pointing it out in the manual that it can be done by an authorized dealer. Here's what they wrote to me
"Handlebar Height: Our manual does not have any instructions on raising or adjusting handlebar height. There is a small section in the manual that talks about the height of the handlebars, but unfortunately it does not have the ability at this time to be raised or lowered. Listed below is an email paragraph that goes into more details about the handlebar height situation.

With Serial 1 bikes being internally wired to fit each bike, it is very difficult to adjust the handlebar height on the bike as the wires are set to fit the exact frame on the bike. This is a situation our team is currently working on to find solutions for future models on our bikes as well as current models out in the field. As of right now, we do not have a recommended procedure or ability to raise the handlebars on current bikes. That being said, it is not impossible to do so. If you look at our One-Off Tribute bike series, you will notice different handlebars than what comes standard on the bikes. These were custom made handlebars that our engineering team hallowed out for internal wiring and made adjustments on these bikes. This could be done by a bike shop if that shop wants to attempt the change. In short, we don't recommend at this time raising the handlebars, but it is your bike, and you are welcome to take it to a local bike shop to see what can be done on raising the handlebars to better fit your riding style.
Kind regards,
Tyler T."

The One Off Tribute is hideous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah no, it's more than difficult to raise the height of the grip location. The limiting elements are the length of the brake lines and the way they're routed. I just spent several hours changing my Cty-S bars. It required parts from TRP (the manufacturer of the brakes) and skills developed over 30 years in bicycle, motorcycle and electrical industries.

If Serial1 had the option of different handlebars with internal routing all that would be required is a pair of TRP hose couplers (for 5mm hose), new olives & barbs and extra 5mm hose to accommodate the extra distance inside the different bars. There is plenty of length for the control wires to the Brose system stuffed inside the handlebars so long as the bars aren't significantly different, like on their Chopper project. The most significant limitation to the change of bars is the internal routing of the front hose. by having it come through the steer tube and the Star Nut it has to be routed through the stem and bar. If the stem had an exit hole underneath the hose could be routed out and then be exposed like on other bikes.

I imagine Serial1 is experiencing production limitations in the same way other industries are. Even if they designed and computer tested a new handlebar it would still have a production lead time of 9-12 months. A project I'm working on with established components that requires no testing has an anticipated delivery of 24 months. The customer asked if $$$$ would grease the wheels, it's a $2 million dollar item, and the likely expedited delivery would be 22 months... with no guarantee.

Later this weekend or early next week I'll post images of what I've done to mine to allow the installation of Surly Moloko bars.

Have a good ride.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
If Serial1 had the option of different handlebars with internal routing all that would be required is a pair of TRP hose couplers (for 5mm hose), new olives & barbs and extra 5mm hose to accommodate the extra distance inside the different bars. There is plenty of length for the control wires to the Brose system stuffed inside the handlebars so long as the bars aren't significantly different, like on their Chopper project. The most significant limitation to the change of bars is the internal routing of the front hose. by having it come through the steer tube and the Star Nut it has to be routed through the stem and bar. If the stem had an exit hole underneath the hose could be routed out and then be exposed like on other bikes.

Serial 1 needs to have an online configurator offering customers to configure some of the features of the bikes. Handle bars could be offered with different amounts of rise and sweep or a stem with more rise along with a number of other options like grips, pedals, tires etc….

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was at a Harley Dealership and saw this
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Bicycle tire Automotive tire

So we know the stem can be raised. They said it came that way, but they weren’t sure. Does anybody know anybody that can 3d scan and print those parts. I’m sure a lot of us will buy them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There’s one problem with installing more spacers under the stem. You’ll run out of steer tube (in yellow) to clamp with the stem. The front brake line (in red) travels through the inside of the steer tube. The rear brake, Brose wires and lighting wires (in blue) are routes up the downtube, up the head tube and through the stem.
You can’t add more stack height to the spacers.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle

I was at a Harley Dealership and saw this
View attachment 402
So we know the stem can be raised. They said it came that way, but they weren’t sure. Does anybody know anybody that can 3d scan and print those parts. I’m sure a lot of us will buy them.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
There’s one problem with installing more spacers under the stem. You’ll run out of steer tube (in yellow) to clamp with the stem. The front brake line (in red) travels through the inside of the steer tube. The rear brake, Brose wires and lighting wires (in blue) are routes up the downtube, up the head tube and through the stem.
You can’t add more stack height to the spacers. View attachment 403
Interesting 4 spacers. My bike only has 2 spacers. That stem angle appears to be dropping. It is possible to flip the stem gaining a bit of rise isn’t it? I can see it might not fit back together quite right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the stem were flipped the plastic decorative cap wouldn’t fit correctly. It’s a shame S1 went for such a sanitized look. There would be so many fit options if they ran hoses and wires differently.

Interesting 4 spacers. My bike only has 2 spacers. That stem angle appears to be dropping. It is possible to flip the stem gaining a bit of rise isn’t it? I can see it might not fit back together quite right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts