Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On every bike I have owned in the past couple decades here in the US, I easily swapped the brake cables/housings between Right and Left levers to keep the front brake control the same as on my motorcycle.

I think this setup is the norm elsewhere in the world.
I read some time back that we got this wrong because of users' and regulators' erroneous belief that the majority of braking control is at the rear.

Has anyone here had any luck with swapping the internally routed hydraulic lines?

I see a number of challenges with making this change on a Serial 1e:
1. Manipulating internal routing through the handlebars may require laparoscopic surgery skills
2. The stem doesn't look at all like threadless aheadset or quill types that I'm familar with
3. I have no sense yet of how the internally routed rear brake hose and electric bits are run either through or around the steerer tube

I inquired at my local bike shop/ Serial 1 dealer and they say no one has approached them with this request before - and estimated it could be a 7-9hr job over the course of a week!

· Premium Member
221 Posts
I’m not an expert by any means but the brake levers/lines are the same distance from the stem to the levers, should just be a matter of swapping the lines. It can be done but would definitely require some time to pull it all apart.
You might view this post elsewhere in this forum.
Modified CTY Speed

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S1 support got me the information that I need through a 11min instructional video+transcript for dealers featuring Tanner from the youtube vids at Serial 1 - YouTube.

The procedure isn't nearly as complicated as I had feared.
I have replacement Tektro/TRP olive/barb compression ferrules on order to get it done when I get back from biz travels later this month. I look forward to not having to give a moments thought before applying the brakes on my bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts