Serial 1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Generation 1 Rush/City
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • If you hear a popping sound while you are riding, it may just be your chainring bolts popping off the chainring sprocket. If left unchecked, this can eventually lead to the sprocket completely falling off. To prevent this, check the tightness of each of your chainring bolts using a chainring nut wrench. If any of them are loose, tighten them down with 8 nm of torque. Proceed to ride the bike again, and during each ride, as a precaution, re-check them. If looseness is detected, retighten them, and continue this process on each ride until they remain secure. Warning,the photo of the packaged chainring bolts below are not the original equimpment bolts, they are actually smaller, but so far after re-torquing them down a few times, they are working out and remaining secure. Since they are not stock, I am still checking them once or twice a week

• Wood Rectangle Art Font Jewellery
    Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
    Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
    Font Audio equipment Metal Wood Circle
    Font Gas Poster Audio equipment Circle
    Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory
    Leg Blue Azure Fluid Gas
    Font Handwriting Material property Writing Paper

· Registered
11 Posts
Good post, thanks for taking the time to make it. The same thing happened with my 1st gen Mosh purchased in July of 2022. I lost two chainring bolts before I noticed it. Serial 1 support was great and sent me a set of new chainring bolts immediately. My guess is they weren't tightened to spec at the factory. I've had no problems since. They can be easily checked using the 5 mm tool included with the bike and I would encourage everyone to take a few minutes to do so.

· Registered
Generation 1 Rush/City
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also purchased a 1st Generation Serial 1 delivered in July 2022. As I routinely clean the bike I noticed a few loose chainring bolts. At that time I did not know what i was looking at. I thought the bolts might be cosmetic and were holding on the sprocket guard. Household hardware Font Gas Automotive tire Metal
I ddin't notice the 5mm hex bolt pattern and ended up using my fingers to tighten them. Thanks for your advice. Great input. Take a few mintues to check your chainring bolts with our multi- tool.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
You should be checking bolts on the bike everywhere, I’ve found the rear hub bolts loose, these are the small Allen bolts not the large nut. The front disc brake rotor bolts were not torqued correctly resulting in brake squealing. Even the kickstand bolts came loose. I also add loctite threadlocker to help them stay tight. Just pushing and pulling on various things can help to find loose parts before disaster strikes.
cheers

· Registered
Generation 1 Rush/City
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be checking bolts on the bike everywhere, I’ve found the rear hub bolts loose, these are the small Allen bolts not the large nut. The front disc brake rotor bolts were not torqued correctly resulting in brake squealing. Even the kickstand bolts came loose. I also add loctite threadlocker to help them stay tight. Just pushing and pulling on various things can help to find loose parts before disaster strikes.
cheers
Yes, indeed. Thanks

· Registered
11 Posts
cheers
Good advice. I intend to spend some time looking everything over (including learning how to properly tension the belt) before daily riding season begins again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts